Monday, October 3, 2011

Bats and Things

On a warm, Austin night I was returning to my dorm from a student study area.
I was walking across the big patio or whatever that thing is in front of the giant university tower when something small and black caught my eye. At first I figured it was a piece of trash or something, but then on closer inspection I realized it was something quite different.
There. On the ground. Tiny and therefore adorable I spotted a bat. A tiny little bat just chilling on the ground.
What a discovery!
I was so excited about this bat. I was also rather territorial, actually.
I stood in front of it, just standing there, awkward in the middle of this big plaza/patio thing while people just walked on by. I immediately got out my cell phone and started calling people trying to get them to come share my batty experience, still guarding the little thing from random passerby.
Because this was my bat.
No one else was allowed to look at it.
I called people and no one answered. I called my friend from back home just to tell her about what was going on. She didn't seem that impressed. I finally sat down next to the little bat and had to fight the urge to touch it or pick it up. It looked so fun to mess with.
I finally got a hold of one of my friends and was relaying all the bat information when it outstretched one of its wings
Woah! WOAH!! It was exhilarating. It started moving around and so I kinda started freaking out and then... then. It FLEW. Like 5 feet, but it startled me! I imagine the poor thing was injured and that was why it was stranded on the ground in the first place. I eventually left it alone and walked back to my dorm.
I looked for it the next day, just making sure there wasn't any glob of black goo where someone might have stepped on it, but there was nothing.
The mystery of the tower plaza bat continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment